Monday, April 22, 2013

How to draw Officer Jones!

So, for better or for worse, I'm going to try and "solo" as much of the illustration and animation as I can. However, realistically speaking, I'm probably going to need help at some point. So that I don't have to spend too much time teaching people how to draw my characters, I've created a series handy-dandy "How-to"s to help people learn how to draw the characters. They aren't perfect (as I don't have the time to make them so) but they serve as a good start as to how I draw the characters.  So here's our main character, Officer Jones!

Whereas the Crimson Fly is a bic-head pen (circle on a cone), Officer Jones is comprised entirely of blocks. Seriously. You could probably build him out of legos. (That makes for an awesome idea: free sketch/ink/drawing thing-y for whoever builds Officer Jones out of legos!)
Jones is a very rigid character.  One of things I was worried about when drawing his head was that I wouldn't be able to get a big range of emotion with his face as strict as it is. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's a reserved character, but he does emote. As for his eyes, they're shadowed because, while he's a main character, the cops, as a whole are minor. I don't want you get attached, and hence, you can't see his eyes.
Jones's body is nowhere near as complicated as the fly, and coming up with a how-to to describe his body was a little tough.  He's got enough flexibility to move, but not so much that he's as agile as someone like the Fly.  If pushed to far, his joints bend all the way, rather than simply curving like the Fly's joints.
Jones is a police officer, and I realized that its a good idea to have a sheet detailing what his uniform entails. Its pretty much a jumpsuit over an under-armor mesh.  Its pretty much a cross between a janitor and a real life police officer. His outfit is an artifact from a time when the world-building dictated that everyone/mostly everyone had superpowers (as a way for the Fly to maintain a regular life outside his secret identity), and the police were upgraded accordingly (hence Jone's multipurpose tool and utility belt).  I still liked the design, and thus it carried over.

So, now you know, and knowing is half the battle! Next: Our antagonist!

No comments:

Post a Comment